Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Colors, Numbers and Bears

I have no idea where the last 3 1/2 years have gone. Cathryn has gotten so big sooo fast it is scary!!! Lately I have felt like she is not challenged enough. I will never forget what our Ped. said when she was born, "Because you have a special needs child, don't dumb down your expectations of Cathryn." It took us off guard and we (I) was offended at first. Until he explained. "Don't think everything Cathryn does is gifted or highly advanced. Because Davis is mentally like an infant, you will see Cathryn as a genius.... Even if it is what ALL 3 year olds are doing. Cathryn needs to be challenged and pushed to her greatest potential."
Here we are 3 1/2 years later and I now understand what our Dr. was saying. I am amazed at how the simple everyday activities come so easy to Cathryn and are SOOO hard for Davis. Cathryn attends a two day a week program and seems to love it, but I feel she needs more at home. Today we went to our school supply store and purchased several manipulative's for her to count, sort, stack, group etc... She loves the bears and has played ALL afternoon !!! I am saving the clock and lacing patterns for Friday. I need to be more dedicated and organized ... We can make learning fun and add activities each week :o) Now that the weather is getting warm I will begin the garage sale hunt for great learning tools.


1 comment:

hlw said...

I'm terrible at "pretend play" but I love doing this kind of stuff with my kids. It's so fun to see them learn. Way to go, mommy!